Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 19:25:09 -0400
From:      Otter <otter@otter.cc>
To:        "Radeev Alexandr A." <sansan@aval.kiev.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE64 sound card and FreeBSD-4.0

"Radeev Alexandr A." wrote:

> I have FreeBSD-4.0
> Sound card  Creative  AWE64 isa Pnp
>
> My kernel config file
> device          snd0
> device sb0      at isa? port 0x240 irq 9 drq ?
> device sbxvi0   at isa? drq ?
> device sbmidi0  at isa? port 0x300
> device awe0     at isa? port 0x620
> device opl0     at isa? port 0x388
>
> bash-2.03# /usr/sbin/config TAZIK
> WARNING: The snd drivers are deprecated. Please see pcm/sbc/etc.
> Don't forget to do a ``make depend''
> Kernel build directory is ../../compile/TAZIK
>
> What is  happened . Why  "snd drivers are deprecated".

I'm not sure *WHY* but it seems that pcm handles it pretty well. I've
got an ISA AWE64(value) and it works as it should and I'm running
-current. Check out my modifications since 3.x here:

device          sbc
device          sbc0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
device          pcm

I wasn't sure what sbc to put in, so I put both and I get no errors. The
cards works fine too. I'm assuming this might be the same for other SB
cards. In 3.x I had the same snd0 drivers working for SB16 and my AWE64.
Give it a shot and report back how it works. I'll swap cards later
tonight just to verify that my SB16 does work in this setup. Check back
later for my follow up email.
-Otter