Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:14:46 -1000
From:      "Wai Chan" <waichan@hpu.edu>
To:        "Tim Kellers" <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: webct on freebsd?

Hi,

webct should run on FreeBSD without problem.  I could be wrong, but
after plaing with it for a period of time, the webct campus edition is
simply whole brunch of perl scrips (the version of perl is more
important than anything else) and plain text files, and a apache web
server with customized httpd.conf.  There is a webct campus vista
edition, which uses oracle db instead of plain text files, I have no
knowledge about this edition.

FreeBSD was officially supported by the first generation of webct.
However, the latest version, webct only supports Solaris and Redhat (not
all favors of linux, and FreeBSD is no longer listed as supported OS).
If you are running webct on FreeBSD and if you need help from webct,
then ... unless you are webct's $best$ customer.  So, if you are stucked
with x86 boxes and need to run webct, Redhat is your safe choice.

We run webct and other apps with this rules I set:
	If not FreeBSD on x86, then Solaris on Sun.
We are running our webct on a Sun E250 box.

Good Luck!

Wai.