Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 19:35:14 -0400
From:      mpd <mpd@rochester.rr.com>
To:        chip.wiegand@simrad.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hostname problem, apparently only in X

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 04:27:19PM -0700, chip.wiegand@simrad.com wrote:
> mpd <mpd@rochester.rr.com> wrote on 04/23/2002 04:07:26 PM:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 03:53:54PM -0700, chip.wiegand@simrad.com wrote:
> > > I seem to be seeing some new errors I haven't seen in other installs.
> This
> > > time its in a
> > > term window in X. When I try to run cvsup cvsupfile I get the
> following
> > > message -
> > >
> > > Cannot get IP address of my own host - - is it's host name correct?
> > >
> > > I don't get this when I run from the console, only when in X. Maybe
> this
> > > is related to a
> > > problem with X itself? When I shutdown X the messages on the console
> show
> > > -
> > >
> > > waiting for xserver to shut down
> > > xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "cwiegand2:0" in "remove" command
> > >
> > > when I enter hostname at the console I get
> > > cwiegand2
> > >
> > > Any idea what I should do about this?
> >
> > Is that the *real* hostname (i.e. is cwiegand2 returned when you
> > do an nslookup on your IP?) or just some name you gave it?
>
> When I do nslookup with my ipaddress I get
> Can't find server name for address 157.237.xx.xxx: nonexistant host/domain
> Server: Cache02.ns.uu.net
> Address: 198.x.x.x
> Cache02.ns.uu.net can't find 157.237.65.118: nonexistant host/domain
>
> We have a dhcp server, NT, ip 157.237.xx.xxx. My freebsd box gets it's
> info from that dhcp server.

Including the hostname?

The hostname should be fully qualified, or at least listed in /etc/hosts.
I assume doing an nslookup on 'cwiegand2' doesn't find anything.
Try adding it to /etc/hosts if it isn't already, and make sure 'hosts'
is listed before 'bind' in /etc/host.conf (which I believe is default.)

> --
> Chip

mike