Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 14:35:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Qt

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Edward Avis wrote:

> >The goals of the FreeBSD Project are to provide software that may be
> >used for any purpose and without strings attached.
>
> How do you square this with including KDE/Qt?

Because they are both free as well.  You'll do little to convince me
otherwise.

> KDE is free software, but Qt falls far short of "any purpose and without
> strings attached".

I believe that Qt is totally free of charge if you use it in the arena of
free software.  If you intend to profit from it's use with closed code,
then you have to pay development costs for it.  Simply put, "keep it free,
and it stays free".

I don't have any trouble with that.  Some software simply won't get
written unless someone pays someone else to write it.  Qt is doing that
AND allowing free software to benefit at the same time.  They are giving
back.

That's all I have to say.