Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:41:50 -0500
From:      "David Robillard" <david.robillard@gmail.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: syslog time resolution

> I would like to increase the number of decimals reported in logfiles by
> syslogd(8), anyone knows if it is possible and perhaps a hint on how to do
> it?
>
> tcpdump for instance, has six decimals: 21:25:20.160833 whereas the
> standard syslog has zero decimal secs.
>
> I am only referring to events within a single system so it's not related to
> clock accuracy.
>
> Thanks and sorry if I missed the obvious!

You might want to try changing the base system's syslogd(8) for a more
feature rich syslog solution.

I'd suggest using syslog-ng which is available in the FreeBSD ports as
sysutils/syslog-ng2
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/sysutils/syslog-ng2/pkg-descr

It has quite a lot more features then the base system's syslogd(8) as
you can see from the online Administrator's Guide
http://www.balabit.com/dl/html/syslog-ng-admin-guide_en.html/bk01-toc.html

Should you like to check out other syslogd replacements, check the
Library at http://www.loganalysis.org/

Have fun!

David
--