Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 12:11:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        trustedbsd-discuss@TrustedBSD.org
Subject:   cvs commit: src/sys/kern kern_mib.c kern_prot.c src/sys/sys         systm.h (fwd)

As part of a flurry of commits to FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT relating to improved
authorization structure, capabilities framework, et al, I committed a
patch that adds a sysctl disabling suser_xxx(), the call that authorizes
uid0 processes to make use of special privilege.  Setting the sysctl at
this point is not particularly productive, but can be an enlightening
experience.  To try out, cvs update or cvsup to the latest 5.0-CURRENT
tree, and as root:

	sysctl -w kern.suser_permitted=0

An important note is that without capabilities present and appropriately
configured, shutdown will panic the system as some processes die before
init, which upsets the kernel.  The current set of capabilities patches do
not apply cleanly, and I need to go through and update for recent commits.

Poligraph text should be out on the list by this evening now that I've had
a chance to gather together a variety of comments.  I invite criticism,
discussion, and suggestions :-).

  Robert N M Watson