Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 07:57:52 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports-maintainers?

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 01:30:01PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> Actually, that might indicate the need for some mechanism to contact
> ports maintainers. ports@freebsd.org is a bit much volume for someone
> maintaining just a single port (like me), yet it would be very useful
> to obtain important infos like freeze dates, general changes, etc.

Yeah, many folks have expressed unhappiness at not being notified about
these.

> How about adding a lower-volume ports-maintainers (or similiar) list which
> is automatically created from the MAINTAINER fields in the Makefiles and
> where such announcements are sent?

Sounds like a good idea, although we should still allow people to opt
out of them - in which case it will be their own fault they didn't know
about massive updates and such.

Anyone else like this idea?  Perhaps we should have some restrictions on
who can join, but still archive it?

--
Will Andrews <andrewsw@purdue.edu> <will@FreeBSD.org>