Date:      Thu, 05 Feb 1998 15:26:14 -0500
From:      Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.5 floppy install

--=====================_886728374==_

Am attempting a floppy install and have read and reread all the
documentation available at Freebsd.org. Am running Windows 95 on a 486DX
with a 815Mb IDE drive. Have successfully created  the boot image file and
copied all the /bin to floppies I formatted myself.

Setup runs successfully as follows: default kernel loads (after I resolve
all possible conflicts), I am able to partition my disc, load the boot
manager, and label my partitions. Please see attached file for debugging
details (which I have set to high in Options.)

After choosing Minimum Install and Floppy Distribution, setup creates
holographic shell and prompts for the 1st floppy. Once floppy inserted and
press Enter, it returns me to the Choose Distributions menu.  Again, please
see attached file for debugging details.

Debugging shows floppy successfully mounted; also several screens of
directories created. However, several commands are returning statuses of 0.

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated.

--=====================_886728374==_

Once kernel loaded, VTY2 reads:

DEBUG: ioctl (3, TIOCCONS, NULL)=0 (success)
DEBUG: Found a disc device named wd0
DEBUG: Found a DOS partition wd0s1 on drive wd0
DEBUG: Found a network device named lp0
DEBUG: Try for cd0a returns errno2
DEBUG: Try for mcd0a returns errno2
DEBUG: Try for scd0a returns errno2
DEBUG: Try for matcd0a returns errno2
DEBUG: Try for wcd)c returns errno2
DEBUG: Found a CDROM device named wcd0c
DEBUG: Found a floppy device named fd0
DEBUG: Add mapping for cuaa0 on /dev/cuaa0 to sl0
DEBUG: Add mapping for cuaa0 on /dev/cuaa0 to ppp0
DEBUG: Add mapping for cuaa1 on /dev/cuaa1 to sl1
DEBUG: Add mapping for cuaa1 on /dev/cuaa1 to ppp1

FDISC Menu as follows:

offset    size   end     name     ptype     desc     subtype     flags
  0        63     62      -         6      unused       0
 63    820449  820511   wd0s1       2        fat        6
820512 848736  1669247  wd0s2       3      freebsd     165         C

DISKLABEL Menu as follows:

part     mount     size     newfs
wd0s1     none     400MB     DOS
wd0s2a     /        32       UFS Y
wd0s2b    swap      25       SWAP
wd0s2e    /var      30       UFS Y
wd0s2f    /usr     326       UFS Y

Choose minimal distribution as have only copied /bin to floppies.
Choose floppy installation.

VTY2 shows:

DEBUG: command 'newfs -b 8192 -f 1024 /mnt/dev/rwd0s2e' returns status of 0
DEBUG: 5c050: execute (/var, wd0s2e)
DEBUG: mkdir (/mnt/var)
DEBUG: mkdir (/mnt/var..)
DEBUG: mount /mnt/dev/wd0s2e/mnt/var
DEBUG: Function @5c050 returns status 0
DEBUG: variable_disLabelled was yes, now written
DEBUG: install Initial: Scribbled successfully on the disc(s)
DEBUG: Notify: copying the boot floppy to /stand on root file system
DEBUG: Executing command 'find -x/stand | cpio -v -pdum/mnt'

/mnt/stand
   "      /help
   "       "   /COPYRIGHT.hlp.gz
   "       "   /configure.hlp.gz
   "       "   /distributions.hlp.gz
   "       "   /drives.hlp.gz
   "       "   /fixit.hlp.gz
   "       "   /hardware.hlp.gz
   "       "   /html.hlp.gz
   "       "   /install.hlp.gz
   "       "   /network_device.hlp.gz
   "       "   /options.hlp.gz
   "       "   /partition.hlp.gz
   "       "   /readme.hlp.gz
   "       "   /register.hlp.gz
   "       "   /relnotes.hlp.gz
   "       "   /slice.hlp.gz
   "       "   /tcp.hlp.gz
   "       "   /upgrade.hlp.gz
   "       "   /usage.hlp.gz
   "       "   /usermgmt.hlp.gz
   "       "   /xf86.hlp.gz
   "       "   /anonftp.hlp.gz
   "       "   /media.hlp.gz
   "       "   /shortcuts.hlp.gz
/mnt/stand/boot.help
/mnt/stand/boot.crunch

cpio:  /mnt/stand/boot.crunch linked to /mnt/stand/sh/mnt/stand/sh
        "              "                       "  /find/mnt/stand/find
        "              "                       "  /pwd/mnt/stand/pwd
        "              "                       "  /ft/mnt/stand/ft
        "              "                       "  /ppp/mnt/stand/ppp
        "              "                       "  /sysinstall/mnt/stand/sysinstall
        "              "                       "  /newfs/mnt/stand/newfs
        "              "                       "  /gzip/mnt/stand/gzip
        "              "                       "  /cpio/mnt/stand/cpio
        "              "                       "  /bad144/mnt/stand/bad144
        "              "                       "  /fsck/mnt/stand/fsck
        "              "                       "  /ifconfig/mnt/stand/ifconfig
        "              "                       "  /route/mnt/stand/route
        "              "                       "  /slattach/mnt/stand/slattach
        "              "                       "  /mount_nfs/mnt/stand/mount_nfs
        "              "                       "  /gunzip/mnt/stand/gunzip
        "              "                       "  /zcat/mnt/stand/zcat
        "              "                       "  /-sh/mnt/stand/-sh

/mnt/stand/etc
       "      /protocols
       "      /rc.conf
       "      /services
/mnt/stand/symbols

2288 blocks

DEBUG: Command 'find -x |stand: cpio -v -pdum/mnt' returns status of 0
DEBUG: Executing command 'cd /mnt/stand: find etc| cpio -v -pdum/mnt'
/mnt/etc
/mnt/etc/protocols
/mnt/etc/rc.conf
/mnt/etc/services

17 blocks

DEBUG: Command 'cd /mnt/stand; find etc|cpio -v -pdum /mnt' returns status of 0
DEBUG: Setting variable _runningOnRoot to yes
DEBUG: Wrote out /etc/hosts
DEBUG: Notify: Starting an emergency holographic shell on VTY4
DEBUG: Generating /etc/fstab file
DEBUG: mkdir (/proc)
DEBUG: mkdir (/proc..)
DEBUG: mkdir (/cdrom)
DEBUG: mkdir (/cdrom..)
DEBUG: Wrote out /etc/fstab file
DEBUG: mkdir (/dist)
DEBUG: mkdir (/dist..)
DEBUG: Init floppy called for some distribution
DEBUG: initFloppy: mounted floppy /dev/fd0 successfully on /dist
DEBUG: mkdir (/tmp)
DEBUG: mdkir (/tmp..)
DEBUG: Executing command 'gzip -c -d /stand/help/distributions.hlp.gz > /tmp/doc.tmp'
DEBUG: Command 'gzip -c -d /stand/help/distributions.hlp.gz > /tmp/doc.temp' returns status of 0