Date:      Sun, 26 May 1996 12:48:28 +1000 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, tcg@ime.net, freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Arrg!! sig 11

On Sat, 25 May 1996, Nate Williams wrote:

> > > I *highly* suspect hardware failure, which didn't get tickled by 2.0 for
> > > reasons of usage or whatever.

> > Because I was doing nothing else important I decided to give this a try
> > as well... I got a seg fault.  I have also been noticing some other
> > strange behaviour on my home machine when compiling.. things failing with
> > bus errors or seg faults that work fine when I do the same compile on my
> > work machine... the only difference between the two is really the way
> > FreeBSD was installed.  The home machine was installed over 2.0.5 as an
> > upgrade and the work machine was installed as a clean 2.1 install.
> > Could this be a cause of these random errors, or do I maybe have some
> > dodgy hardware in the home machine ?
>
> I suspect dodgy hardware.  It shouldn't matter if the upgrade was done
> (assuming the upgrade was done correctly ala. 'make world').  If the
> latter was done, then *all* the system binaries except the kernel were
> updated, and I assumed you also upgraded the kernel.

The upgrade was done as a binary only upgrade using the upgrade from
2.0.5 option in the installation menu (I didn't have enough space to hold
the entire 2.1 source for a make world).

If its dodgy hardware do you have any hints as to what I should look
for?  The system seems to work OK for most general work, but just has
these random failures when compiling...

FYI its a pentium 100, 16MB RAM (70ns.. I guess this may be a problem)
2 WD IDE disks, 1 IDE CDROM, Diamond Stealth S3 868 DRAM PCI card...

thanks,
Carey

Carey Nairn                     ! email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au
Networks and Communications     ! phone : (002) 20 7419
Information Technology Services ! fax   : (002) 20 7898
University of Tasmania.         !