Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 19:58:41 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Monte Westlund <montejw@memes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad rc.conf?

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 10:51:21 MST, Monte Westlund wrote:

> I have COPIED /etc/defaults/rc.conf to /etc/rc.conf, and now the machine
> (486) either won't boot or is just taking a very long time to boot.

Part of the solution is easy, part isn't.

The easy bit is to boot into single user mode and remove /etc/rc.conf.
At the boot prompt, type:

	boot -s

When you get into the single-user shell, you'll need to re-mount your
root partition read-write:

	mount /

Now you can just nuke /etc/rc.conf:

	rm /etc/rc.conf

Of course, your system now has no overrides for the default values in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf. if you have a backup of your /etc/rc.conf, you're
in luck.

Otherwise, you'll have to create your own /etc/rc.conf. For that, you'll
need /usr, /var and /tmp (if you want to use vi, of course). Mount them
as you did / .

Good luck.
Sheldon.