Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2008 14:16:37 -0600
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd2008@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        "Stephane E. Potvin" <sepotvin@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-eclipse@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: eclipse-cdt debugging doesn't work on FreeBSD 7.0 amd64?

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 07:51:00AM -0500, Stephane E. Potvin wrote:

> You might want to try eclipse-devel (ganymede) with cdt installed via
> Eclipse update (not via ports). Make sure you select the "Linux
> Toolchain" when creating your project and debugging should work fine.
> Bug me if something doesn't work.

Unlike the original poster, I'm on FreeBSD 7.1-PRERELEASE for i386.

I've been using ganymede and CDT 5.0.1 via the update site
(http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/ganymede/) and was able to
get debugging to work, eventually.  It was painful to set up and I don't
recall my exact steps.  I did use the "Other Toolchain" instead of Linux
Toolchain, but that shouldn't make a difference, right?

Here are the two things that don't seem to be working correctly for me:

- Program I/O does not appear in the console, even though a console is
allocated when the program starts.  I am able to step through code but
nothing appears in the console, even if I use fflush().  Online
investigation revealed few secrets.

- Auto-build does not work as expected.  Sometimes when I save files, it
will run a "make build" (I gave it the "build" target for incremental
builds).  Othertimes (more often than not), it fails to do anything when I
save changes.  I had to disable the auto-build for this project and I have
to manually build the project, of which I often forget to do.

***  My installed software  ***

FreeBSD Eclipse SDK 3.4.1.1 (build id: M20080911-1700)
CDT GNU Toolchain Build Support 5.0.1.200809120802
CDT GNU Toolchain Debug Support 5.0.1.200809120802
Eclipse C/C++++ Development Tools 5.0.1.200809120802
LR Parser 5.0.1.200809120802

-- Rick C. Petty