Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2006 07:26:26 +0300
From:      Alex Semenyaka <flist@jabberwock.rinet.ru>
To:        Vitaliy Ovsyannikov <V.Ovsyannikov@kr.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unversal watchdog

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 05:41:32PM +0700, Vitaliy Ovsyannikov wrote:
> Hello, freebsd-hackers.
>   I've stuck with the unable to make watchdogs for daemons running via
> startup rc-scripts. In linux we can just put the process in the
> inittab. Does FreeBSD contains ability like this?

You can do it with /etc/ttys. Actually this point is missing by many
FreeBSD administrators, people just think of /etc/ttys in term of
terminals and stuff :) But if youi'll open the man page you would
found the following:

     The first field is normally the name of the terminal special file as it
     is found in /dev.  However, it can be any arbitrary string when the asso-
     ciated command is not related to a tty.

So you can perfectly run any program there and init will watch or it, just
like in linux.

--
Sincerely,
Alex Semenyaka