Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 07:59:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        jktheowl@bga.com (John Kenagy)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X triggering ppp to dial

In a previous message, John Kenagy said:
> Howdy,
>
> Had this leetle problem for a while but have ignored it till now.
>
> When X starts the user ppp starts up and hangs the server start, until
> I get bored waiting and kill the process. (I'm running ppp as a daemon.)
> I have been starting the X session with startx and xinit.
>
> This has gotten a bit irritating because I'm starting to use xdm.
> When I log off of the session, the whole console is hung up tight. I
> can press keys and eventually it starts beeping (buffer full, I guess.)
>
> The computer and OS are still running, but I have to go to another
> machine on the lan, telnet in, and rescue the situation (reboot - could
> also seek out and kill the offending process.)
>
> Any clues as to where to look for the solution to this? This is getting
> into territory where I read the book(s) and type in the examples.

Run tcpdump on tun0 to see what's going out.

My guess would be that in you .startxrc (.xinitrc whatever) you are
trying to connect to something. Possibly just DNS.

	OR

You have machines in your /etc/X0.hosts that need to get resolved
by DNS. I had this problem.

Paul.

--
Nature abhors a hero. For one thing, he violates the law of conservation of
energy. For another, how can it be the survival of the fittest when the