Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 1996 11:24:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org, hsu@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: verbose but cryptic error

> As Jeffrey Hsu wrote:
>
> > Sure.  I get
> >
> >   mode data len:  11
> >   type:  0
> >   device-specific:  0
> >   blkdesc len:  8
> >   density:  0
> >   numblk:  3450902
> >   reserved:  0
> >   bllen:  512
>
> So the drive tells that it has 3450902 blocks with 512 bytes each, but
> apparently rejects these figures when being used inside a MODE SELECT
> command.  It's rather unusual for a drive to report the number of
> blocks in the MODE SENSE data.  Perhaps this is what finally makes
> your drive bitching -- scsi(8) simply passes this value on in the MODE
> SELECT.  Perhaps it should zero out all junk data.

I think the fundemental flaw in scsi(8) here is that it should do a
mode since on page 2 to check what bits are setable and use that as
a mask to the mode select.  I haven't looked at the code, but it sounds
as if we are ignoring the -P 2 data that says what bits we are allowed
to modify between a mode sense and a mode select:

mode_select(mode_sense(1A, 0, 1 or 3) & mode_sense(1A, 2));

                           ^^ this is page from -P     ^ always -P2