Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 18:08:39 -0800
From:      August Pasimio <augusto.pasimio@lmco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PC System without hard disk

I am setting up a laptop system that is running FreeBSD.  One
requirement for this system is that it cannot have a hard disk.  FreeBSD
and our applications will reside on the CD.  The CD will be made
bootable using the procedures outlined in the El Torito Specification.

How do I let the bootstrap know to load the kernel on the CD?

How will the kernel on the CD know that the root filesystem is on the
CD?

How does the kernel know to run /etc/init or /stand/sysinstall?  How do
I substitute /etc/init with another program?

How do I let the kernel know that there is no hard disk and not to do
any swapping?

How do I create an mfs filesystem without specifying the swap device?

How do I mount an mfs filesystem to a mount point on the CD?

Thanks, August
email: augusto.pasimio@lmco.com
phone: (805) 572-1901