Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 95 10:07:27 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        gaspar@STL-17SIMA.ARMY.MIL
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Installing to Syquest Drive

> up about 53 MB.  When I boot from the installation floppy, both of my hard
> drives are recognized; however, Fdisk sees my SyQuest drive as having 256MB
> total with all 256MB assigned to DOS.  In DOS I show about 214MB free.  I
> realize there is some overhead, but why don't I show any free disk space?  Is
> there something special I need to do for a SyQuest drive?  I haven't yet
> subscribed to this mailing list; so please reply to me directly.  Thanks for
> any help.

FreeBSD needs a seperate partition.  Basically, the free space you see
is still in the DOS partition, and so it is unusable.

If you can't (or don't want to) repartition and lose the DOS contents
of the drive, you should download (is it on the CDROM?) the DOS
program "fips" to free up the unused portion of the disk for use by
FreeBSD.  The "fips" program can repartition a live disk without breaking
it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---