Date:      Thu, 21 Aug 1997 08:55:02 -0600
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@wup.de>
Cc:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quiet SCSI disk?

>AHC driver uses normally 8 tags.
>Or 4 if card doesn't have much SCM space.
>And reduces the number of opennings to x, if a queue full race
>condition occurs, where x = 3 using the IBM DORS... which is nearly
>the same as running without tagged queuing ;-)

This changes with the new CAM code.  All controller types can now
page up to 255 commands (the aic7770, aic7850, and aic7860 doing
this via "indirect paging" which costs an extra byte sized DMA).
CAM also is much better at handling the QUEUE FULL and BUSY status
conditions making it possible to properly dynamically size the
number of transactions to use so long as the drive isn't "broken".
On my CAM test system, the number of tags starts out at 64 for all
devices, drops to 63 on the Seagate Hawks, drops to 16 on the
Quantum Empire 2100, and is fixed (via a quirk entry) at 24 on the
two Atlas II drives I have.  The Atlas II is fixed at a particular
number since it will return QUEUE FULL due to temporary internal
resource shortages yet generally it can handle lots of tags.  The
algorithm that CAM uses is to "freeze" the transaction queue to a
device that returns QUEUE FULL until a successful transaction
completes, so even if the tag number is not reduced, the drive is
not bombarded by requests as is the case in the current system.
The increased number of tags that I'm able to use now makes the
system much more responsive.  I don't think that 4 is the optimum
number for seek intensive workloads like a news expire.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations