Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2018 18:54:30 +0200
From:      Michael Grimm <trashcan@ellael.org>
Cc:        ed@freebsd.org, theis@gmx.at
Subject:   Re: py-fail2ban turned silent after syslogd rollout (r335059, stable/11)

Marek Zarychta <zarychtam@plan-b.pwste.edu.pl> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 03:12:05PM +0200, Michael Grimm wrote:

>> Hi,
>>=20
>> this is 11.2-STABLE (r335532), and I am referring to the recent MFC =
of syslogd modifications [1].=20
>>=20
>> Because I cannot judge whether fail2ban lacks support for the renewed =
syslogd or syslogd has an issue in receiving fail2ban messages I do =
crosspost this mail to ports and stable.
>>=20
>> I do have fail2ban configured to report to SYSLOG:
>>=20
>> 	logtarget =3D SYSLOG
>> 	syslogsocket =3D auto
>>=20
>> But now, after upgrading to the new syslogd fail2ban refuses to =
report to syslogd; no single message gets recorded [2].
>>=20
>> I did try to modify the syslogsocket setting to /var/run/log without =
success. Pointing logtarget to a regular files tells me that fail2ban is =
running as expected, it only lacks reporting to SYSLOG.
>>=20
>> #) Does anyone else has running py-fail2ban at >=3D r335059 and can =
confirm my observations?=20
>> #) Any ideas how to debug this issue?
>>=20
>> Thank you in advance and regards,
>> Michael
>>=20
>>=20
>> [1] =
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/11/usr.sbin/syslogd/Makefile?revisi=
on=3D335059&view=3Dmarkup&sortby=3Dfile
>> [2] both syslogd and fail2ban are running at the host, thus another =
issue with syslogd fixed in=20
>>    =
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=3Drevision&sortby=3Dfile&revision=3D3=
35314 does not apply
>>=20
>=20
> This is probably connected with the lack of handling of non-RFC
> compliant timestamps.=20
>=20
> My syslog server also suffers from this issue. It stopped logging
> messages from old Cisco equipment and some newer Netgear switches.
> Running it in debug mode gives some clue:
>=20
> Failed to parse TIMESTAMP from x.x.x.x: 12403: Jun 22 17:31:38 CEST:
> %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/17,
> changed state to down

Ah, yes! Haven't thought about running syslogd in debugging mode:

	Failed to parse TIMESTAMP from x.x.x.x: fail2ban.filter [79598]: =
INFO [=E2=80=A6]

> Could you please give any advice or workaround for this issue?

I cannot answer whether it might be possible to either tell syslogd to =
accept legacy timestamps [1] or configure fail2ban (or your =
applications) to switch to using RFC5424 compliant timestamps.

[1] I did try to set '-O rfc3164' starting syslogd to no avail

Anyone?

Regards,
Michael