Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 07:04:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lawrence Mayer <lawmay@ki.se>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/41685: many packages missing on ftp

>Number:         41685
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       many packages missing on ftp
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
The precompiled package collection
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/
hasn't been updated since 2-3 July. Moreover, during that update, many
new packages (whose ports were committed before 2 July) didn't get posted.

For example (there are many more), as of 15 August, the following
precompiled packages STILL haven't been posted on ftp, even though their
ports were committed before 2 July:
precompiled package     |    port committed
missing from ftp        |
as of 15 August         |
------------------------|------------------
downloader-2.02.tgz     |       24 June
freetype2-2.1.2.tgz     |       28 June
xfce-3.8.16_1.tgz       |       27 May
metacity-2.3.987_1.tgz  |       12 June
metacity-setup-0.6.tgz  |       27 June
rox-1.3.2.tgz           |       12 June
rox-session-0.1.16.tgz  |       21 June
links-2.0.tgz           |       28 June
auctex-11.11.tgz        |       25 June

ALL of the above precompiled packages are available on bento:
http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/packages-4-full/
And I can find no package building errors for any of them:
http://bento.freebsd.org/errorlogs/4-latest/

So why haven't these packages been copied from bento to ftp?

The ftp package collection is not just out of date, it's incomplete. For
example, downloader, xfce, metacity, metacity-setup, rox, rox-session, and
auctex mysteriously and completely disappeared from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/ 2-3 July when it last was
updated. In other words, the the old versions dissappeared, but the new
versions were not added. So since 2-3 July, these packages (and many others)
have been completely unavailable from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/

To my knowledge, http://bento.freebsd.org is not mirrored and thus can't
handle the type of download demand placed on FreeBSD's heavily mirrored
ftp servers. Thus, it's important that the package collection is complete
and up-to-date on ftp, not just on bento.
>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Should we think about changing routines so that the ftp package
collection stays more complete and up-to-date in the future?

For example, if ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/packages/ mirrors
the "latest full run" of bento, the problem will be solved.