Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 00:43:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        freebsd-audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Time to redirect! (Was: Re: Topics for -security vs. topics for -audit)

> Please could you volunteer for each of the following classes by sending
> a mail to this list with your choice of subject(s) (more than one mail
> is OK):
>
> "Volunteer as code auditor"

  I'de be glad to help where I can as code auditor. My "resume" includes
12 years of programming experience: about 10 years of which are C (the
most prodigious amount of coding being in the last 6 years). Overlap that
with several years of x86 assembly programming and a few years of the
standard unix utility fare (perl, sh, awk, etc). Not to mention the now
useless years of Pascal :)

> "Volunteer to help with web page setup"

  For the past 5 years, this has been how I spend my days. I've
been dreaming in HTML, SQL, PHP, and perl for months straight :) It's
gotten so bad that when I got home I kept going and put up database-driven
sites for the distributed.net Team FreeBSD and am currently working on the
BSD Driver Database. This is where I think I can help the project the
most.

> I'd like the webmasters to come out and help set up a hypertext
> version of the source tree (not the actual source, just the directory
> structure), and a method of submitting results.
>
> So far, the results (c|sh)ould be:
> 1) Code examined by <auditor> and deemed
>    a) abuse of
>       i) string library functions (str* b* s*printf etc).
>       ii) temp file races and symlink abuse
>       iii) buffers by "inline" code
>       iv) SUID/SGID privelige
>       v) secret data (password buffers, environment variables, &c)
>       vi) &c...
>    b) clean (?) -Wall -Weverything -Werror as appropriate.
>       (the intent is not to force the committal of these
>        options, but to use the compiler tools (heck, even
>        lint(1)) to automate as much of this as possible).
>    c) to have adopted (where appropriate) such fixes/features
>       offered by our sister BSD's.
>
> Separate <auditor>s may do individual parts, but this must be tracked.
>
> So far, I lean towards the unit of audit being the file, not the
> function, but I suspect that with good tools, this could change
> in the future.
>
> There must be a mechanism for auditors to "claim" code for auditing
> (to avoid duplication of effort), but there must be a time limit to
> prevent tracts of code being "locked out" of the audit process.
>
> I request the simplest possible implementations; CGI in perl? Great!
> CGI in C? Wonderful! Multi-megabyte system on NT/VB? Naaah.
>
> Ideas? Cool. Volunteers? Better. Code? Aaaaah!! :-)

  I submitted some ideas I had in these regards to -current last week. See
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=357598+0+archive/1999/freebsd-current/19991128.freebsd-current

  Personally, I'm leaning toward a combination of PHP and perl. Basically,
PHP to provide rapid development of the web user-interface, perl to
provide back-end automated processing such as monitoring commits. I
haven't played with CTM yet, but I would definately investigate using a
perl script to catch the CTM-generate e-mail and flag functions (or if you
prefer, files) as modified.
  Perhaps I've gone SQL happy, but it is my first inclination to store the
project progress in a SQL database (either mySQL or postgreSQL, I use
mySQL for most projects, so I'm leaning that direction). I think SQL would
be an asset here in that we gain:
	* a standardized way to access the project data
	* an efficient method of retrieving and updating that data
	* we don't have to write our own data access interfaces so we have
a faster development time

  Anyway, I'm looking forward to working on this, both the audit itself,
and hopefully the web site.

  Your willing servant,

  Kelly
--