Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 1995 08:23:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        Wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The great crypt reshuffle

> Hi
>
> There has been good discussion over the last couple of days, and this
> is an attempt to summarise the concensus so far, and turn it into an
> agreed-upon proposal. Where I have gotten wrong, please gently correct,
> where I have forgotten please remind etc...
>
> 1) The DES library is to move from eBones to secure/lib/libdes.
>    des.h (the public header for this library) moves from
>    /usr/include/kerberosIV to /usr/include, and to be updated with
>    much more recent code from Eric Young, the original author.

Fine, just remeber to add it to the list of places to install header
files from when doing ``make includes'' in /usr/src.  See target includes:
in /usr/src/Makefile.

> 2) crypt(3) and friends in libcipher to be replaced with faster code
>    from same author as libdes, and to merge with libdes. (I know, not
>    much concensus here - I'm just pushing my luck)

We need to know just what it was that csgr had in mind when he was
doing all of this.  From the README.FreeBSD in libcipher I get the
feeling he was going the other way, but evenutally wanted to collapse
the libraries:
gndrsh# more README.FreeBSD
$Id: README.FreeBSD,v 1.1.1.1 1994/09/07 21:18:07 csgr Exp $

This is FreeSec package for NetBSD,  unchanged for
FreeBSD, except for the Makefile.

The other stuff in libcrypt will be added in stages!
gndrsh#

> 3) libcrypts containing _only_ des crypt(3) and md5 crypt(3) to remain
>    unchanged (Except perhaps for newer code in des crypt(3)) to maintain
>    possible foreign licensing. One selected as the _real_ libcrypt by
>    symlink.
Okay!

> 4) (Very little discussion here) Other libraries containing crypto
>    code (ssl, rsa, md4, idea (where legal/appropriate)) be placed in
>    secure/lib/lib*/ and turned into a separate library. Some of this
>    code may cause serious trouble for owners in certain countries. (eg
>    rsa in US.) The public headers for these to be placed in /usr/include
>    for orthogonality with des.h in 1) above.

I would just rather leave this code by the way side as far as /usr/src
goes.  We already have enough legal problems with the current set of
code and I think doing this would open a can of works.  Perhaps making
a ``port'' collection that installed into /usr/local/lib would be
a better path to take (pun intended).

> 5) secure/usr.bin/telnet is kerberised, and as such should move to
>    eBones.

Agreed.

> 6) (not discussed at all - I think) Eric Young has not touched eBones
>    for _years_, and is not likely to. The code in eBones is a mess, and I
>    would like to rebuild it as a lib/ include/ usr.bin/ usr.sbin/
>    structure for orthogonality with secure and gnu. This is more-or-less
>    how the original code looked.

Then why was it changed to be the way it is now?  We need this input and
reasoning from Geoff before I can accept changing it yet again.  There must
have been (hopefully) some reason that he drastically changed it from the
way that it was originally.

> 7) More will follow as I start to work on it (Secure RPC etc).

One thing at a time please... :-) :-)