Date:      Fri, 07 May 1999 09:47:45 -0700
From:      "Stephen C. Fuqua" <sfuqua@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sick ide cdrom

Ever since 3.1, I've had trouble with my ancient, sony cdu55e, atapi cdrom.
The problems are worse with the 3.1 from the "toolkit" cdrom.
The cdrom is the slave on the second ide interface (the only place win95 can
find it).
Symptoms:
1)file transfers from the cdrom to the master on the second do not work, no
lockup, just no transfer. ^C kills things.
2)Occasionally, large transfers off of the cdrom cause lockups that demand
powercyling to get the machine back.  I'm not sure if a network connection
would lock too; I only have one machine at home.
3) trying to mount the cdrom, when it has just been put in, before it settles
down will hose the cdrom, leaving it in a state where it won't mount or
unmount.

2.2.* worked fine on this hardware. 2.1.* worked fine on this hardware.  Linux
works fine on this hardware.  Win95 works as well as it ever did.

I'd like to have some fun with this problem if possible.  How should I
approach debugging it?  ktrace and then look where it locks and follow source
code in from there?  I have book knowledge of kernel internals, but little
"keyboard" knowledge.  What can I do to learn the most?