Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 1998 00:02:10 +0200
From:      "Andras Tudos - Computronic, C3" <andras.tudos@computronic.hu>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        marci@c3.hu
Subject:   file system performance

We are setting up a largish qmail based mail server. We are using 3
frontend machines (PII-233, 128Mb, FreeBSD 2.2.6) to accept incoming smtp
mail and to service pop3 user requests. The mailboxes are on the backend
machine (PII-400, 128Mb, FreeBSD 2.2.6, external HW RAID array on UW SCSI)
and are shared via NFS. All PCs are on a 100Mbps switched LAN.

The problem: file system performance (either measured over NFS or on the
local RAID array). We can get 1.6Mbps when continuosly copying 1-2K files
and 44Mbps when copying (dd) /dev/zero. The later is perfect, but the
former is too low. We tried almost all options (sync and async mode), but
couldn't get it higher. With this performance the server can deliver about
700,000 messages per day (measured with simulated mail load), which is less
than required (on long term).

Any ideas how to improve performance?

Andras Tudos
C3, Budapest