Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 17:20:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Francois Duthilleul <francois.duthilleul@alcatel.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot Disk????

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Francois Duthilleul wrote:

> I copied a kernel from one PC to mine but now, my PC does not want
> to reboot and I cannot login anymore as root in order to repair. Could
> you be king enough to tell me how to proceed to be able repair that
> problem? For the moment, I have put the FreeBSD4.0 boot disk but after
> some time, the prompt is asking for a MSF disk: are you aware about
> that?

There are 3 1.44MB fd images of interest on the CD or on any FreeBSD
mirror:

kern.flp=09Kernel to boot with
mfsroot.flp=09Memory root file system needed after booting with kern.flp
fixit.flp=09Repair tool selectable by the sysinstall program

After generating all three floppies you should be able to boot from floppy
and to repair the damage on your hard disk by mounting all file systems
and building you kernel with some care.

More easy, try to boot with the generic kernel which should still be
available on your hard disk. Interrupt the boot process countdown
and enter the following boot command:

wd0s1a> boot kernel.GENERIC

The prompt `wd0s1a' may be different on your system, no problem with that.

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=