Date:      01 Oct 1998 03:22:28 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recycling boot prompt

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:

> On Thursday,  1 October 1998 at  1:38:15 -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:

> >> Agreed.  Reinstallation isn't the way to go.

> >> Don't need to use fixit.  Boot floppy is enough.  Try:
> >>
> >>   boot: wd(0)kernel
> >>
> >> Assumes that FreeBSD installed on first IDE disk.  If on second,
> >> prompt is:
> >>
> >>   boot: wd(1)kernel
> >>
> >> If SCSI disk, use sd instead of wd.
> >>
> >> If not working, let us know with description of messages.
> >

> > Thanks, wd(1)kernel was the one I needed.  Inserting boot floppy and
> > trying the above, I get the same exact behaviour.
> >
> > No messages are produced.  If I try to type anything at the prompt,
> > when I hit <RET> The screen scolls up and back to the prompt. If I let
> > it time out, the install routine starts.
>
> This looks like you may have overwritten something important.  Go into
> sysinstall (the install program which the floppy starts) and thence
> via the Index into the partition editor.  See if you can find a
> FreeBSD partition.  If you can, go into the disk label editor and see
> what partition names are mentioned.

Not sure exactly what fixed it.  Before getting your last post.  I
started the install routine and chose `upgrade' I was instructed to
mount the partition I wanted upgraded.  I mounted all. /, /var, /usr
Allowed the bin package to be ostensibly, `upgraded'.  Then exited.

Booting with lilo now works again.  And the packages I had
painstakenly downloaded and installed survived the ordeal.

Thanks for your advice

--
Harry Putnam reader@newsguy.com
Running Redhat Linux-5.1