Date:      Thu, 28 Feb 2002 20:33:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@FreeBSD.org>, Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@unixdaemons.com>, Seigo Tanimura <tanimura@r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp>, FreeBSD current users <current@FreeBSD.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: Patch for critical_enter()/critical_exit() & interrupt assem

On 28-Feb-02 Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Not to put too fine a point on it, but, I don't see how this can
>     possibly justify preventing me from committing my critical_*() stuff.
>     You've just stated publically that your preemption stuff is unusable
>     as it currently stands.  Why am I supposed to wait an arbitrary period
>     of time for you to fix, test, and commit it?
>
>     I would REALLY like to commit my critical_*() stuff, and for the record
>     this will also include the stage-2 stuff described in the original commit
>     comments that will be made a few days after the current commit.

Because the critical_* changes you are doing don't match up to the overall
design.  See my mail to -arch for more on that though.  At some point in the
future I think that this work can fit in rather well to the cpu_critical_foo
stuff (which can be split out from critical_enter/exit now).  However, at this
stage I would rather avoid complex optimizations of APIs that may change in the
future.  There is more to be gained from locking subsystems.