Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 13:36:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD into larget corp. environment?

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > My view is that phone-in tech support (as an initial contact) is
> > an inherently flawed approach.  You cannot possibly pay what anyone
> > good enough can get doing other work (nor would they want to do it).
> > It is especially problematic with a small staff.  The person who
>
> So you think that the customer won't insist on talking to a human
> being as an initial contact?  I guess I really don't have a good feel
> for how customers regard email as an effective support tool these
> days.  If they're comfortable with the idea of just sending a message
> into the void and expecting some sort of timely response back from us,
> well, I guess I certainly won't argue.  I'm just not entirely certain
> of that latter point.

	I think what you have to offer is a world-wide network of
experts; and ultimately these experts are going to be contacted by
electronic mail.  Initial contact by telephone can be done cheaply
by an answering service--which is just like the doctor's answering
service.  Someone will call you later.  Or it can be done expensively
with a couple of graduate students in an office.  They might be able
to answer some questions but if it's a sophisticated problem they're
going to send out electronic mail too.

> > But the point is really to do something rather than nothing, and
> > starting with phone-in tech support from an office is sufficiently
> > daunting in terms of costs and organization that it is unlikely to
> > get done at all.  And it seems important that something be offered,
> > even if it is not perfect.
>
> So, I guess what you're saying is that there are already enough bodies
> who are willing to work through a company like FreeBSD, Inc that we
> could present a credible tech support picture to FreeBSD sites?

Actually this is a question you are better able to answer than I.  But
it does seem that there are a lot of experts reading the FreeBSD mailing
lists (and many of them answering questions); and quite a few of them
might be willing to read another mailing list with the possibility of
getting paid for answering questions.

> Hmmmmm.  And who's going to be the business manager for this again?
> This sounds suspiciously like a lot of ongoing paperwork. :-)

You should probably break down the tasks of a "business manager" and
figure out what you really need.  Maybe like this:

	--someone who does the billing and someone (preferably someone
else) who writes the checks and keeps the books.  Most of this can be
done electronically (I could describe in more detail how I think it
might work) but I don't see it as a lot of ongoing paperwork.  There
are good bookkeeping programs for DOS/Windows some of which will even
generate tax returns for you.  :)  These are the jobs of a controller
and a treasurer, if we want to give them names.  (The controller can
also send out the request for evaluation of service received.)

	--doing sales pitches, negotiating contracts:  this may be a
sort of "business manager" type of job, but actually this should be
geographically distributed--someone writes in and says we'd like to
talk about your commercial support; they can phone or visit someone
in the area.  The basic task here is to answer the messages.

	--management:  basically management shouldn't have any ongoing
tasks except a) watching the mailing list and intervening if something
seems not to be going well and b) reading the evaluation reports and
taking appropriate action.

What you have to do to get this going is a little more complicated;
the experts have to be lined up and a contract has to be signed; you
have to decide on the corporate structure and its ownership (possibly
stock options or whatever for the experts); and you have to develop a
description of the service and write it up.  In terms of contacting
potential customers, it would seem that FreeBSD has superb mailing
lists for doing this!  And you need a contract for customers to sign.
It would be very helpful to have a lawyer to work on some of this;
probably the most expensive part unless you use the part ownership/
stock option carrot.

	--

> 					Jordan

Annelise