Date:      Tue, 2 Feb 2021 00:46:25 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jung-uk Kim <jkim@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   openssl in head returning "certificate expired" when it has not expired

I've recently been testing the daemons that do the=0A=
non-application data stuff for nfs-over-tls with the=0A=
openssl in head.=0A=
=0A=
These daemons work fine with both ports/security/openssl (openssl-1.1.1h)=
=0A=
and ports/security/openssl-devel (openssl3-alpha).=0A=
=0A=
However, when linked to the openssl in head, the basic handshake=0A=
and KTLS works, but the peer certificate from the client is reported=0A=
as expired by SSL_get_verify_result(), although it is still valid.=0A=
I added some debug output and the "notAfter" field of the=0A=
certificate looks correct, so the certificate doesn't seem to be=0A=
corrupted.=0A=
=0A=
I tried backporting the changes in crypto/x509 in head back=0A=
into ports/security/openssl and it still worked, so those changes=0A=
do not seem to have caused the problem.=0A=
There are several differences in the configured options, but I cannot=0A=
see any other differences between ports/security/openssl and=0A=
what is in head that could cause this.=0A=
(The options that differ seem related to old encryption types, etc.)=0A=
=0A=
Any other ideas for tracking this down?=0A=
=0A=
Thanks, rick=