Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 12:55:14 +0530
From:      "Sanjay Bhattacharya" <sanbh@gmx.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ALT key

Hi,
   I am extremely sorry for bugging the list again with a keyboard related
problem. My apologies to all of you. I am unable to get my ALT key working
as the META key in bash. So when I press ALT-B, I get a B printed instead of
the cursor moving backward by a word. And I have to use the escape key as
the META key ie,. ESC-B instead of ALT-B. I tried putting several settings
in my ~/.inputrc file so that readline respects my ALT key. But nothing
happened. I have tried disabling the terminal's stripping of the 8th bit of
the input characters and still nothing. I tried stty -istrip. I have
rampaged the net but I couldn't come up with any stuff that's helpful. I
have a Win keyboard with 105 keys and I am using FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE with
bash-2.05a. I'll be very grateful if you guys can help me out with this
problem. Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Sanjay.