Date:      Sat, 27 May 2006 15:00:27 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Removal of Fortran from the base system

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 11:45:29PM -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> Steve Kargl wrote:
> >On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 11:14:09PM -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> > =20
> >>Agreed, who the hell still uses Fortran?
> >>   =20
> >
> >I don't see a smiley, so I can only assume you're speaking
> >out of ignorance of the Fortran language.  I guess I can
> >also assume you have no knowledge of numerical analysis=20
> >and high performance computing.
> >
> >PS: Check the ChangeLog for gfortran.
>=20
> Yes, i have no experience with Fortran, but the words high performance=20
> computing and the name of a prehistoric programming language just don't=
=20
> appear in my sentences. Once again, who the hell uses Fortan on FreeBSD?=
=20
> 0.1% of all users?

Dozens of my users use FORTRAN on our FreeBSD cluster.  It's highly
unlikely this will change any time in the next decade.  I'm sorry you're
so isolated in your own little world that you can't imagine that anyone
else could have have different requirements than you.  It's really
rather sad. :(

-- Brooks

--=20

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm