Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:09:44 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        marcus@marcuscom.com, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnomecontrolcenter doesn't build

[...]
> > gnomecontrolcenter. The short version of the actual error experienced
>is:
> >
> > /usr/X11R6/lib/libgnomesupport.so: undefined reference to `strerror_r'
> > gmake[4]: *** [file-types-capplet] Error 1
> >
> > Long version is at the end of this email.
> >
> > What I would really like to know is:
> > 1) Is there a work-around? Can I edit some .C file or replace a binary
> > somewhere?
> > 2) If this isn't happening to anyone else, what are you doing
>differently?
> > I have built GNOME before with version 4.4 CVS's about 2 weeks after
> > release, but it sure doesn't work now.
> >
> > Here is some information that may be applicable:
> > - I am using the XFree-4 port (version 4.1); not 3.3.6
>
>Yep, I've got this, too (and XFREE86_VERSION=4 set in /etc/make.conf).
>
> > - Everything else builds fine, including the buildworld process
> > - Error occurs in the same spot every time, and with the same error.
>
>What version of FreeBSD are you using now?  strerror_r was implemented
>in FreeBSD -stable 3 weeks ago.  I originally built gnome without it, so
>I went back and rebuilt libgnomesupport and control-center, and it
>worked.  I'm on 4.5-RC1.  Perhaps you downgraded libc_r,  or have a
>version of libgnomesupport not compiled against your libc_r.

My dmesg says: "FreeBSD 4.5-RC #0: Thu Jan 10 13:37:26 MST 2002"

By "libc_r", do you mean the reentrant libc? I have make.conf not build
that. I'll try changing that.

>For grins, I'm going to email you my old libgnomesupport.a and .so.5.
>They don't have a reference to strerror_r, and should work on your
>system.  However, this isn't a good solution.  You _should_ be able to
>run:
>
>nm -D /usr/lib/libc_r.so.4 | grep strerror_r
>
>and see:
>
>000731f4 T strerror_r

I'll certainly try that. First I'll CVSup && tell make.conf to build
everything even remotely related, if it doesn't work I will try your
solution. Many dozens of thanks for your input!

Charles Burns