Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 22:40:30 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>, Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.x compatibilty.. Was: MFC of rcNG?

--2oox5VnwalALFvA7

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 11:23:38AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> 	I would like to reiterate my previous points... namely that for the
> vast majority of users, this change will be almost unnoticed.=20

Not so.  At least, I hope not.  At the very least, I look forward to
being able to tell people "Yes, you can stop/start/restart any service
with 'sh /etc/rc.d/<service>.sh stop|start|restart"

In addition, the way the sysadmin moves things around in the boot order
will change.  Instead of editing /etc/rc*, you change some comments in
some shell scripts.

If I want to find out *why* things started in a particular order I now
run rcorder(8).

Doubtless there are others.

So, not only does the project's documentation have to change, but so
does all the internal documentation maintained by companies that are
using FreeBSD that describes how to do things to their FreeBSD systems.

[ Now multiply this by every change that's going in to 5.x that won't
  have a backward compatible implementation ]

These changes take time to make.  And throwing up yet another bar in the
adoption of 5.x is a *bad thing*.

This is about to become a wider discussion that rc_ng.  So I'll stop
here, and kick off a new thread.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--2oox5VnwalALFvA7

--2oox5VnwalALFvA7--