Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 1997 16:09:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>, Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, kleon@bellsouth.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Does FTP mangle ^H? (was Re: Handbook - ascii form??)

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, Warner Losh wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.970623093950.313P-100000@fallout.campusview.indiana.edu> John Fieber writes:
> : 6) If the ^H is missing from a downloaded file, chances are it
> :    got stripped rogue software.  Claims were made that this
> :    did indeed happen, but I don't believe the details of the
> :    software used were mentioned--these are essential things to
> :    provide with any bug report.
>
> I believe that the FTP standard states that ASCII mode is for text
> files that are a series of non-control characters followed by a line
> terminator.

>From RFC 959, describing ASCII transmission:

  The sender converts the data from an internal character
  representation to the standard 8-bit NVT-ASCII representation
  (see the Telnet specification).  The receiver will convert the
  data from the standard form to his own internal form.

  In accordance with the NVT standard, the <CRLF> sequence should
  be used where necessary to denote the end of a line of text.
  (See the discussion of file structure at the end of the Section
  on Data Representation and Storage.)

This says nothing about treatment of control characters beyond
that line endings, if present, should be CRLF.  The referenced
telnet specification defines what a client should do upon
receiving a ^H, which implies that a ^H should be able pass from
the server to the client through NVT-ASCII intact.

The FTP specification itself defines specific meanings of a
variety of ASCII control characters for an optional variant of
the ASCII mode which also implies they should come through the
pipe intact.

I've tried transfering the files in question using ASCII
mode with several ftp clients and in all cases, the ^H characters
come through intact.  Can someone point to some *specific* ftp
clients that strip the ^H in ASCII mode?

Puzzled  :-/

-john