Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:15:29 +0100
From:      "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse@engelschall.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mdmfs broken?

In article <20030306084707.GC13870@pcwin002.win.tue.nl> you wrote:

>> > What's the correct syntax in 5-CURRENT to have a memory disk for /tmp
>> > in your /etc/fstab?
>> > [...]
>>
>> Create a symlink:
>>
>>   lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  5 Feb 13 13:28 /sbin/mount_mfs -> mdmfs
>>
>> and use in /etc/fstab something like:
>>
>>   md0 /tmp mfs rw,-s128m,noatime,nosuid,nodev 0 0
>
> Thanks! Any reason why there is no {sym,hard}link by default? The
> manpage even mentions the compat-behaviour:
>
> COMPATIBILITY
>    Full compatibility is enabled with the -C flag, or by starting mdmfs with
>    the name mount_mfs or mfs (as returned by getprogname(3)).

Perhaps because it's considered just a "compatibility" and not a
"standard" feature. I personally would like to see this symlink myself,
because without it is nearly impossible to conviniently create a memory
based /tmp on FreeBSD 5 anyway. Because doing all the individual steps
with mdconfig, newfs, etc. in something like /etc/rc.local is also not a
convinient solution. So, yes, I would vote for creating this symlink by
default.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com