Date:      Sat, 08 Nov 2008 08:16:54 -0800
From:      Drew Tomlinson <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggestion For Handbook Addition Regarding sendmail

I hope this is the right list.  If not, please nudge me appropriately.  :)

I've been using FreeBSD since 4.0 but never learned anything about
Sendmail.  It seemed very complicated and therefore I chose Postfix for
my little home servers.  I have never looked back.

However I recently installed FreeBSD at work for an application that was
not supported on Solaris.  The only mail function this machine requires
is the ability to send outbound mail from local accounts, i.e. "root".
Thus installing postfix seemed overkill.  Since the default install of
sendmail is already limited to outbound only, I just needed to configure
sendmail send via an outbound relay.

For such a seemingly common scenario, I turned to the Handbook.  I was a
little disappointed that section 29.3 did not cover this and found the
information in /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/README confusing.  I knew I
was looking for some *.mc file to edit somehow and then generate the
sendmail.cf some way.  I suppose that for most *nix admins, this is
considered common knowledge.  However for a newbie, I was confused.  My
"Google-fu" turned up lots of links that suggested sendmail be
configured to relay via one's ISP relay but no specific instructions on
how to achieve this.  Finally, I found this FAQ
(http://www.technoids.org/freebsdsendmailfaqs.html) to be very helpful
for learning how to make a sendmail.cf file the FreeBSD way.  If it does
break any copyright laws, including this info in the Handbook would help
other newbies.

Thanks,

Drew

--