Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:21:35 -0500
From:      "gerald stoller" <gerald_stoller@hotmail.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, des@ofug.org
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftpd's read-only mode

>From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
>To: Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
>CC: security@FreeBSD.ORG
>Subject: Re: ftpd's read-only mode
>Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:26:35 +0100
>
>In message <xzp7l2ml8pa.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav writes:
> >A while ago, Poul-Henning implemented a read-only option in ftpd that
> >makes the server refuse any command that would write, remove or modify
> >a file or directory. Currently, the server will send a 202 reply with
> >the reason "Command ignored. Server is in readonly mode.", but I think
> >that a "550 Permission denied" would be much more appropriate. Does
> >anybody object to this change?
>
>No, go ahead if you think that is better.

    SNIP

    ftp  (the ones I've seen so far) never writes to  STDERR  and always
returns a  0  exit-value.  The only way I have found to determine if there
is an error in the  ftp  is to put it in verbose mode and  grep  STDOUT  for
lines beginning with a three digit # whose value lies between  400  &  599
(because that three digit # range is reserved for IDs of error-messages) and
delete from this the lines that have the word 'bytes' after a three digit #
in this range.  This suggested change is right-on because it complies with
the  RFP  (I forget its #) for  ftp .