Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 2021 14:23:09 +0200
From:      Felix Palmen <felix@palmen-it.de>
To:        ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About GIT and committing submissions

--5evdf6eisqjdu6ys

* Robert Clausecker <fuz@fuz.su> [20211016 14:11]:
> However, I would like to keep the shar guidelines.  Submitting a port as a
> shar is a very simple way to do so if you have not set up a complete
> development environment with git.  If you don't have your ports tree under
> git, it is difficult to produce a new port as a git-style patch.

Thanks, I see, for people not using GIT, this is simpler at first. But
if I'm not mistaken, shar will only work for initially adding a new
port? So, once you actually start *maintaining* it, you'll have to come
up with a patch anyways. You'd probably try to create one with diff,
become frustrated quickly, and finally just install git to avoid the
madness=E2=80=A6

But please correct me if I'm wrong :)

BR, Felix

--=20
 Dipl.-Inform. Felix Palmen  <felix@palmen-it.de>   ,.//..........
 {web}  http://palmen-it.de  {jabber} [see email]   ,//palmen-it.de
 {pgp public key}     http://palmen-it.de/pub.txt   //   """""""""""
 {pgp fingerprint} A891 3D55 5F2E 3A74 3965 B997 3EF2 8B0A BC02 DA2A

--5evdf6eisqjdu6ys

--5evdf6eisqjdu6ys--