Date:      Fri, 07 May 1999 11:25:26 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        "thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se" <thomas.uhrfelt@plymovent.se>
Cc:        "'junkmale@xtra.co.nz'" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SV: CVSup

Thomas Uhrfelt wrote:

> > > I am a little lost with using CVSup is there any further
> information
> > > than
> > > the one on www.freebsd.org and the example files? All I am
> > > interested in
> > > is staying up to date with 3.x - stable.
> >
> > There is my log of what I did:
> >
> >       http://www.freebsddiary.org/freebsd/current.htm
> >
> > It deals with upgrading to 2.2.8-stable but I think the principles
> > remain
> > the same for 3.
>
> Thanks, I have actually already solved the problem. One of my problems
> was that I hadn't edited my /etc/hosts file since I switched IPs on the
> machine, so CVSup cried wolf. Now I am just curious on how long a make
> world will take on a  pretty slow P133/64MB with a slow 4GB IDE drive,
> probably the whole day huh?

I have a P166 with 64MB and a 56Kb modem and PIO 4 IDE's. I timed
"make buildworld" and it ran consistently at 9800-9900s. I tried
running single user mode, -j4, and normal. The wall clock time was
within 2-5 minutes. The -j4 option was faster than the median time but
slower than the fastest multi-user mode time. The "installworld"
requires a few minutes but nothing like the buildworld does.

I was really trying to find out when "buildworld" would hang and that
turned out to be dependant on memory banks with different memory. Each
bank of 2 simm's were identical but they were different between banks.
All were 60ns EDO.

Kent

> *Reminds himself to always _read_ all the relevant information and not
> just skim over the parts that isn't sexy looking*
>
> / Thomas

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com