Date:      Mon, 06 Sep 2004 20:33:09 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?B?S3J6eXN6dG9mIENpZXDFgnVjaGE=?= <kris@home.pl>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with GEOM_MIRROR

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> +> sysctl -b kern.geom.conftxt still shows labels like da0a .. da0f, and
> +> the mirror is still starting synchronization after every restart.
>
> I haven't check it yet, but maybe this is because of swap partition.
> On shutdown, file systems are unmounted, but I think swap paritition is not.
> Could you try to remove swap partition from fstab and try again?

ok, you were right. after turning off swap the system starts without
synchronizing whole mirror.
and the 'sysctl -b kern.geom.conftxt' command doesn't show labels like
da0a anymore. this is what i expected.

BUT, after physically removing one of the disks in mirror, the system
doesn't boot up properly :(  It doesn't matter if I remove the first or
the second disk - the result is the same:

Fragment of logfile:

GEOM_LABEL[0]: Label for provider da0 is label/disk0
GEOM_LABEL[1]: UFS2 file system detected on da0.
GEOM_LABEL[1]: UFS2 file system detected on da0a.
GEOM_LABEL[1]: UFS2 file system detected on da0c.
GEOM_LABEL[1]: UFS2 file system detected on da0d.
GEOM_LABEL[1]: UFS2 file system detected on da0e.
GEOM_LABEL[1]: UFS2 file system detected on da0f.
GEOM_MIRROR[1]: Creating device mirror1 (id=1132938933).
GEOM_MIRROR[0]: Device mirror1 created (id=1132938933).
GEOM_MIRROR[1]: Adding disk label/disk0 to mirror1.
GEOM_MIRROR[1]: Disk label/disk0 state change from NONE to NEW (device
mirror1).
GEOM_MIRROR[0]: Device mirror1: provider label/disk0 detected.
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/mirror/mirror1a
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6

I think it might be a problem with starting degraded mirror when there
is only one disk present in the system. I'll try to add a third disk to
the mirror and then start the system with only two of them present.

--
kris-at-home-dot-pl