Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 08:48:31 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>, Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Deepu Sebastian Joseph <dsj@engunx.unl.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Swap Space

On Sunday, 28 February 1999 at 12:54:38 -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> Ben Smithurst wrote:
>>
>> Deepu Sebastian Joseph wrote:
>>
>>> I see that I might be just able to squeeze with:
>>> / 20 MB
>>> swap 20 MB
>>> /usr 80 MB
>>> /var 4 MB
>>> Its given some where /+/usr should be 100MB.
>>
>> why not just
>>
>> / 104MB
>> swap 20MB
>>
>> ? It will warn that having separate /, /usr and /var is a good idea, but
>> it won't insist that you make them separate. I've recently installed
>> FreeBSD on a machine with a small disk (400MB), and I just used
>> something like 30 for swap, 380 for "/". On my machine "/" is a separate
>> filesystem, but if you've got so little space it probably won't hurt to
>> stick them all on one filesystem.
>>
>> Perhaps someone can tell me why my method is a bad idea, if it is.
>
> There are times when you want the system to go down in a nice manner.
> When you fill the entire disk, it can be rather abrupt. I missed a
> digit one time and tried to edit a 50MB file with vi on our Cray. I
> filled what ever space vi used for tmp and the system stopped.

That doesn't happen on FreeBSD.  And the problem has nothing to do
with whether you have one or several file systems.  Ben is right: on
such a tiny disk, you shouldn't have more than one file system.  A 4
MB /var is just asking for trouble.

On the other hand, 20 MB of swap isn't much, and all UNIX systems have
problems when you run out of swap.  It depends on what you're doing,
but you could easily fill it up.  You will need to keep a careful eye
on swap usage (pstat -s).

Greg