Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 18:00:15 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@absinthe.i3inc.com>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Caching news proxy?

Our small ISP doesn't want to run a news-server due to administrative
overhead, hardware investment, and bandwidth consumption. Our upstream
provider will let us read from them for a fee-per-connection. So maybe
we order 10 simultaneous connections. But Netscape reads news by
opening up a bunch of connections at once to the same server,
preventing others after our max connections are used. Other concerns
about more users than news connections prevail of course.

Seems to me if I had a news proxy it would only consume one connection
to our news provider.

If it cached retrieved articles -- and there was any semblance of
coherence in our subscribers' reading habits -- we could save
significant bandwidth to our upstream provider.

Any thoughts?