Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 1997 07:59:30 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@dimaga.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting /usr/ports everywhere...

> CTM/sup/CVSup is one of the things that really set FreeBSD apart.  It would
> be a Good Thing to make it more accessible; I at least want as many people
> as possible to run it, as they'll never go back to anything less than daily
> upgrades :)

Well, for this I've always envisioned something a little bit different
in the standard Distributions menu for the future.  Say you select
"source" and that brings you to a submenu saying:

	[ ]  I want the CVS repository, with all source information.
	[ ]  I want just the sources for this version of FreeBSD.
	     [ ]  I want to unpack a static source tree from the distribution.
             [ ]  I want a constant "live feed" for this source tree via CTM.
	     [ ]  I would prefer to update it at will with CVSup.

And depending on what you choose, you get tossed into another area of
Q&A about where you want to receive the CTM updates or where the CVSup
files should go, etc and so forth, and it's all automated.  Once the
user has chosen which "source program" to apply for, the updates just
happen automagically from then on out.

That's the way I'd like it to be, anyhow, but unfortunately all of
that also takes time and work, too...  Heck, it took me over two years
just to get a registration screen into sysinstall.  I don't see an
immediate opportunity for adding easy automated source tracking.  :-)

					Jordan

P.S. That's also my sneaky way of saying that if anyone else had a
penchant for hacking this sort of thing into sysinstall, I'd be more
than happy to point them in the right directions. :)