Date:      Thu, 25 Nov 1999 16:50:12 +0200
From:      Oren Sarig <sarig@bezeqint.net>
To:        PauloZenari <zenari@provide.psi.br>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Comparison with other POSIX operating systems

> Hi! :)

Hello :)

> I've heard lot's of good things about FreeBSD from a newbie, a
colleguae

> from UERJ, my university. He said that FreeBSD is made to control
server

> machines. He also said that it's much, much, MUCH, MUCH better than
> the other POSIX systems, such as Linux. When he said me that thing,
> I became really scarred...!! "Wow!!! Linux is very good... and this
guy
> is
> saying to me that FreeBSD is much better... it should be perfect!"

Nothing's perfect, but fbsd comes near ;)

> Well, I'm an addicted Linux user, but I became really interested in
> FreeBSD.
> I want to know the main diferences between both systems. Is there
> anything
> that I can't do with Linux that I can do with FreeBSD?

Probably not, but fbsd would probably do it better :)

>Wich one is
> "older"
> or "more mature"?

FreeBSD. Buy a large margin.

>And what about software to run under FreeBSD?

We currently have 2200+ programs and libraries that are ready to run
on fbsd. There are more, though these are the ones fbsd has official
packages for, made by the fbsd project.

>I've
> heard
> that FreeBSD can run Linux programs without recompiling...

To a degree, yes.

>If I have an
> already
> set up Linux box, can I simply change the kernel and stay with my
old
> programs?

No. For a few reasons:

1) First and foremost, freebsd is NOT a kernel like linux, it is a
complete system. There are no distros for fbsd but the official one.
This is on of fbsd's strong points: just like only good code makes it
into the linux kernel, only good code makes it into the fbsd distro.
You can also be sure there would be no compatability probs ;)

2) Fbsd works best with UFS, linux uses EXT2. Maybe fbsd can work with
the root filesystem as ext2 (it can do suprising things sometimes,
that's why I say "maybe", but I don't think so).

3) It's recommended you use programs compiled for fbsd, you get the
best results this way, even if the progs were originally intended for
linux. Besides, you'd probably want to use the fbsd utils rather than
GNU utils if you are running fbsd.

4) Most things don't work exactly the same way in fbsd and linux...
that is, configuration won't work the same way, startup scripts aren't
the same, and even elementary things like getty I don't think are the
same.

Well, I guess that with alot of hacking you might be able to get your
linux box to run fbsd without losing your progs, though I don't think
this is recommended.

> Is FreeBSD better than Linux when working as an Internet server, or
as
> an
> ordinary SAMBA or NFS/PC-NFS server on a local network?

I guess in most cases the answer would be yes.

> And what
> about hardware support? Witch one supports *now* most of the latest
> hardware?

Linux supports more hardware.

> hehehe... sorry about the rain of questions...
> and sorry about my poor english! :)

No prob :)

--
Oren Sarig