Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 01:41:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        iap@vma.cc.nd.edu
Cc:        linuxisp@jeffnet.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, os2-isp@dental.stat.com
Subject:   Re: SYN attacks in the Washington Post

On Fri, 13 Sep 1996 didier@omnix.fr.org wrote:

> > SYN attacks in the Washington Post. This is serious stuff...
> >
> > Read all about it at
> >
> > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPlate/1996-09/12/156L-091296-idx.html

> could you explain the principle of the SYN attack ?

Flood one or more ports on one or more achines with so many SYN packets
that the whole thing locks up.

It's like if I dialed your phone number and as soon as you answer I hang
up and dial again, and again, and again, and again.....

Nobody else will be able to call you.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com