Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:02:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Atkinson <marka@metaip.checkpoint.com>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wchar.h?

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Archie Cobbs wrote:
> The jikes Java compiler relies on an include file "whcar.h" being
> on the system. However, even if it's not, it includes routines
> to do what it needs... only about 40 lines or so for these functions:

I was bitten by this one recently too, and there are quite a few messages
in the mailing-list archives on the subject.  If I remember right
(without looking right now) the reason it hasn't been included was some
sort of issue of 16bit vs 32bit.

The short answer is you need write your own functions and header file that
you need, or use the Xwchar library that came in the original
X11R5/contrib distributions (with slight modifications to the header file
to use FreeBSD's wchar_t type and specific includes).  It looks like jikes
does the 'right thing' just because there's not that much consistancy
across platforms.

Just FYI HP, linux, and solaris all include a wchar.h, but different
systems are missing different wcs* type functions.

---
Mark Atkinson
Checkpoint Technologies' Metaip Group
marka@metaip.checkpoint.com