Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2007 18:23:34 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>, freebsd-questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Automatic means for spinning down disks available?

On Wed, Apr 11, 2007 at 04:14:33PM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Apr 11, 2007, at 3:32 PM, Gary Kline wrote:
> >	Some things to consider (besides powering -down or -off drives)
> >	are battery backup system.  Don't most UPS systems isolate your
> >	servers from the wall-socket?
>
> The better grade of UPSes do exactly that-- they provide "galvanic
> isolation" by using an isolation transformer which has the primary
> and secondary windings completely separated, and ensuring in the
> design that you don't connect the service neutral line to the output
> or load's neutral line.  The load can thus either be floating or tied
> to the local building ground.  This type of design is known as
> "double-conversion" because they always feed the input AC line
> through the rectifier & DC inverter, using more power but providing
> better PFC and can provide the load with an AC frequency which is
> different than the input AC frequency (ie, they can provide 60Hz
> output from 50Hz input, or vice versa).

	Years ago I spent a lot of money for a top notch surge
	protector.  It still protects everything to this day; and very
	well.  Now and then I'll find my LAN down, DNS too, obviously,
	because of a surge of one sort or another.  The power here
	(Seattle) is pretty good -- well, except for wind storms {koff}.
	But I'm way past due for having the sort of higher quality
	UPS that  you're taking about.  It would be wired to a pipe struck
	in the  earth.  Floating_ground just doesn't cut it.  Any models
	you'd recommend?  How much system installation is required?
	I'm CAT-5A cabled.  Software, no problem; anything else is.

> Cheaper UPSes, which include almost all consumer-grade models from
> APC, Tripplite, etc run in "line interactive mode", which involves a
> self-tapping or ferro-resonant transformer, can adjust the voltage up
> or down within limits, but they do not perform PFC and cannot provide
> frequency conversion, and they pass the neutral line from AC line to
> load without isolation, thus passing common-mode noise through.  This
> design is lighter and requires fewer components (an isolation
> transformer is heavier), and does not keep the DC section and
> inverter always under full load, so are somewhat more efficient, but
> cannot deal with frequency drift or significant voltage changes.

	Understand, thanks, Chuck.  Here (where rubber-meets-pavement
	is where *not* to cheap out).

> >  At what level do hard drives have identical circuitry so that
> >they can be software lower-voltaged?
>
> The boards within a drive family might be identical (WD200BB/WD400BB/
> WD800BB/etc), but they don't deal with under-voltages at all well--

	{{ this is what i was afraid of.... }}

> you'll either pull excessive current through the servo and spindle
> motor windings, or perhaps the drive will fail to spin up entirely.
> The spindle motors are designed to spin at the calibrated speed and

	So, pragmatically, a drive is either going full-throttle or
	it's OFF.  ...Hm.

> won't spin at slower speeds.

	Somewhere, prhaps at the Gnome shutdown GUI (dialogue?)
	it reads: Off, Changed-user, Idle, Power-Off, Reboot,
	or whatever.  Flame from Gnome/KDE folks to /dev/null, please.
	I'm guessing the "Idle" is for the laptops.   YEs/no?

	Something else to consider here is how much power do the newer
	40-60, 200-300GB drives suck up?  I don't think the drain is
	much compared to, say, 3 CRT television sets drowning on
	several hours/day.  Still, let's SWAG that there are 25-30
	million of us nerd/geek types running at least one computer.
	That adds up.

> >	*Except for consumer __cost__*, why don't all boxes have builtin
> >	batteries like laptop?  ...There are lots of things to consider.
>
> Cost is the primary reason why boxes don't have built-in batteries.
> People flinch away from paying for real RAID systems which include
> battery-backup for the drives...

	Well, then I'm definitively part of the problem; suspect that
	most of my kinsfolk are too.  aNy idea how mmuch of this could be
	solved by software?  Maybe when a machine turns itself off at
	03:30, it write a state-file.  When it reboots  {either by magic
	timer or by actually crawling around down there and toggling
	switches }, presto, you have everything just the way you left it.

	puts("Feedback, world?");

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline@thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix