Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 2020 17:23:08 -0700
From:      Enji Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Kyle Evans <kevans@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-testing@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Testing with lua/atf-lua reviews

> On Oct 24, 2020, at 9:09 AM, Kyle Evans <kevans@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
> Hello!
>=20
> I've just put up for review some work I've done to allow us to write
> tests in lua, primarily intended to test the lua libs we're writing.
> Please feel free to add yourself or drop in for some commentary:
>=20
> - https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26928 - atf-lua(1)/atf-lua(3) itself
> - https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26929 - Build glue for atf-lua
> - https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26930 - atf.tests.mk infrastructure for
> adding tests
> - https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26931 - Build glue for atf-lua tests
> - https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26932 - jail(3lua) tests, as a sample
>=20
> Note that D26932 has an additional hard dependency on the libjail
> bindings and some additions I've made to them, notably: D26080,
> D26756, and D26927.

Hi Kyle,

I realize that I haven=E2=80=99t been fully in the loop lately due to =
time and focusing on other things, but I=E2=80=99m not fully onboard =
with this approach.

In particular, one of the things that jmmv was more onboard with was =
limiting atf, not extending it, and I agree with his desire to not do =
that.

Furthermore, why isn=E2=80=99t this using the luaunit framework instead =
and the support being added to kyua to support luaunit:  =
http://lua-users.org/wiki/UnitTesting =
<http://lua-users.org/wiki/UnitTesting>; ? There are a ton of caveats =
with ATF that I would rather not support longer than necessary and =
having to teach folks how to use a homegrown test infrastructure instead =
of leveraging an open source test infrastructure which is supported by =
an external group. Doing the latter makes maintenance easy for us and =
improves the utility of the support better.

Thank you,
-Enji=