Date:      Wed, 2 Feb 2000 19:04:10 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Michael Bacarella <mbac@nyct.net>
Cc:        Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re/Fwd: freebsd specific search

On Wed 2000-02-02 (11:18), Michael Bacarella wrote:
> > systems have the highest availability rate possible.  Over the last few
> > years, I have replaced almost all of our Linux-based servers with FreeBSD,
> > due to the quality-control measures that the FreeBSD development team have
> > implemented.
>
> Not to start a flame-fest or anything (but who doesn't love em?), I hear
> the above quite a lot.

(I don't like them.)

> I certainly couldn't put up a reasonable arguement for either side in
> Slackware Linux vs. FreeBSD.
>
> Could you?

Nope.  I can't say I know Slackware or its quality-control measures,
so could you please answer some questions for me?

What sort of quality-control measures does Slackware have?  Where
do I access their cvs tree?  Where do I access their problem reports?
Where do I subscribe to get every commit message?  How long are
their code freezes?  How many committers do they have?  What
mechanism creates their releases?  Where do I get release-candidates?

(I apologize if that sounds argumentative, it really isn't.  It
just addresses some of the things that I do know about FreeBSD with
regards to quality control, and what I don't know about Slackware
in order to answer your question.)

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner