Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 2002 13:59:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        MET <met@uberstats.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a Desktop

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002, MET wrote:

> There is without a doubt that FreeBSD is an amazing server OS, but how
> well does it stand as a desktop, or rather a laptop.  To be blunt, I'm
> tired of Microsoft and was wondering how feasible it is to run FreeBSD
> as my Laptop OS.  I will do some searching, but are there good GUI
> environments for word processing, C/C++ development, email, ICQ, some
> port of AOL Instant Messenger (I can't believe I'm putting this here),
> MP3 players/converters, web browsers that actually keep up to date with
> the standards, and anything else commonly used ?

I use FreeBSD on my desktop and my laptop.  Here's what I'm using,
software wise:

- XFree86 4.2.0 on the desktop with an NVidia TNT2 M64 (much much faster
than 3.3.6) and XFree86 3.3.6 on my laptop (the drivers don't like the
Trident video card), with WindowMaker as a window manager
- Pine 4.44 for e-mail
- Galeon and Netscape 4.79 for a web browser
- Everybuddy for MSN (wish I had something that reads the list off the
server) (can also do ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, etc)
- ICQ2Go (icqlite, java-based) with-in netscape4 for ICQ
- WordPerfect 8 or AbiWord for word processing
- GNUmeric for spreadsheets
- Acrobat Reader 5 for viewing PDFs
- GhostView for viewing PS files
- GIMP for editing/viewing images
- ImageMagick for viewing images
- APSFilter for using my printer (Canon BJC-4400)
- Samba for interacting with windows file shares
- XMMS for listening to MP3s
- XCDPlayer for a CD player
- mkisofs(1) and burncd(1) for burning CDs
- dagrab and lame for ripping/encoding CDs to MP3s
- ircII for IRC

That's pretty much all I do with my machines.  I spend most of my time
with xterm's open.

I have one Windows machine left in the house (out of about 7 machines),
and it is for my siblings and for playing games.  Maybe some day WineX
(www.transgaming.com) will work properly in FreeBSD and I can play Diablo
2 and StarCraft from here :)