Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 16:59:35 -0700
From:      "Mark Chesney" <mark@chesneycorp.com>
To:        "'David Reid'" <dreid@jetnet.co.uk>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Size of / partition?

David,

Old kernel and modules may be filling your /. You can safely delete
/kernel.old and /modules.old. You can also safely clean out /tmp which
technically should be cleaned during reboots. Also if you store anything
in root's home directory, /root, it would be taking space in /. The
defaults for auto disk labeling pick 100MB for / and 20MB for /var even
on modern 10 and 20GB hard drives. You may be better off straying from
the defaults and being generous if you have a large disk. For example I
generally choose 1GB /, 1GB swap, 3GB /var, and the rest to /usr. This
ought to be plenty for tracking -STABLE, running a mail server, running
a MySQL server, and just about any other application IMHO.

Mark